Wednesday 9 November 2011

Slow Cooker Moroccan Lamb "Tajine"

On Sunday I had been super organised for once and had planned what we were going to be having for Monday night dinner after work. I wanted to use the slow cooker but there was a fair bit of preparation before putting it in the slow cooker, so I prepared all I could on Sunday so it was ready to go the next morning. I peeled and chopped all the veg, chopped the meat and made up the stock and put it all in the fridge. The next morning I browned the lamb in a frying pan (although this isn't needed) and put it all in the slow cooker and put it on low.

The following is not a typical tajine recipe and this is not least, because the food has not been cooked in an tajine! Also, I followed a basic recipe but used what I had available in the fridge and cupboards. It worked pretty well, it was a little on the hot side for my delicate and let's be honest, wussy, palette however the other half (Neil) enjoyed it and said he would have it again! 

Served up with couscous made according to packet instructions and with finely chopped spring onions mixed through



Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 pack of lamb neck fillets (I pick up a pack that looks enough to do about 4 meals!)
4/5 medium potatos, peeled and halved
1 large onion, sliced
2 peppers (any colours) seeds removed, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
30g dried sultanas
35g dried apricots
250ml stock (I made veg stock)
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp gound black pepper
A good shake of dried ground chillies (optional)
Salt to season
Sliced almonds to serve

1. Brown meat if desired in frying pan with a little olive oil
2. Put meat in slow cooker
3. Add potatoes, carrots, onion.
4. Add dried fruit
5. Whisk together the stock, tomato puree, lemon juice, flour, garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, ginger, pepper and dried chillies if using
6. Add to slow cooker
7. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours
8. At the end of cooking time, stir through the peppers (I like them crunchy)
9. Serve with couscous and garnished with sliced almonds

No comments:

Post a Comment