Monday 7 November 2011

First Foodie Post! - Slow Cooker Roast Duck

I have always shied away from using a slow cooker until recently - as in about 4 weeks ago! But with a recent change of job that sometimes sees me working later than I would like - often unexpectedly - the thought of putting the ingredients on to cook in the morning and coming home to a ready dinner really started to appeal! I started scouring the net for slow cooker recipes I thought I might like (I have never been a fan of stews/casseroles and I thought that was all you could do with them!) and once I found a selection of ones I felt comfortable to try out,I gave it a whirl.Since then, I have managed to use my slow cooker (which I picked up from Freecycle!) at least once a week, often more! The slow cooker is not always relegated to week night duties and I used it yesterday to do the Sunday roast - which was a whole duck.

I think perhaps a whole duck is a little unusual for a slow cooker recipe however I often like to give things a try at least once!

This is just a rough recipe

Ingredients:

1 whole duck, rinsed and patted dry
Salt & ground black pepper
Potatoes halved
1 carrot chopped into chunks
1 medium white onion halved.

Method:

1. Place the veg in the bottom of the slow cooker
2. Brown the duck if wished
3. Lay the duck on top, breast up
4. Season duck skin liberally with salt and black pepper (less salt if you are watching your sodium intake!)
5. Put slow cooker on low for 8-9 hours or medium for 6-7 hours.
6. Once cooked, place in a hot oven for about 10 minutes to crisp up the skin

There is no need for any liquid to be added as the duck fat and juices will help keep it moist as it cooks. The meat was not melt in the mouth or falling off the bone, however it was still tasty and a good way of keeping the oven clear so the roasties and dessert could be cooked happily.

This recipe can be used for any joint of meat or poultry as long as it fits in your slow cooker. The juices collected at the bottom can be used to make gravy

No comments:

Post a Comment